Karadi Tales accepts unsolicited manuscripts from writers. We also commission stories from writers once we’re familiar with their style. We look for strong writing, an original approach and intelligence in concept and execution.
All submissions must be emailed as attachments on Microsoft Word with editable text.Please note that attachments larger than 3 MB will not be opened or reviewed.
Please carefully read through the below points before submitting the manuscript :
1. Please do not send more than one manuscript at a time. Although we accept simultaneous submissions, we would like you to let us know if you have sent your manuscripts to other publishers. If another publisher makes an offer while the manuscript is still under consideration with us, we ask that you inform us immediately.
2. We currently accept the following:
– Picture books : Age group: 2-9, Words: 500-750
– Chapter book : Age group: 7-10, Words: 5000-8000
3. Please do not send us manuscripts that are above the prescribed word-limits. For the moment, our editorial focus is on simple, quirky, funny, contemporary shorts that children can relate to. We want stories that will make us laugh out loud, stories that are as endearing to the adult as they are to the child, stories that set the imagination free. Our emphasis is always on readability and enjoyment.
4. We are reluctant to publish verse and tales with anthropomorphic characters (talking animals/objects). We absolutely abhor moral stories and fables. We are no longer seeking adaptations or abridgements of existing stories or from folklore and mythology unless the retelling is truly exceptional.
5. If you are submitting a picture book manuscript, it is not necessary for you to supply illustrations. Like most publishers, we prefer to match the art to the text. If you do submit illustrations with a manuscript, we may express interest in one but not the other. If you feel the two cannot be considered separately, please tell us so in your cover letter. Likewise, you may want to tell us if text and art can be considered separately or if the art is meant only as a visual guide, as this will help us in reviewing your submission.
6. We respond to manuscript submissions within 6 weeks of receiving them. In the unlikely event that you do not receive a response within 6 weeks, please write to us to let us know. We are unfortunately unable to provide feedback on submissions that are not accepted for publication.
Hope you have spent some time looking at the kind of books we publish. A quick read of three or four of the books will give you a good idea whether your work will be a good fit with our list.
Please send in your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Submission should include:
- Covering Note with your contact details
- Subject line with the nature of your submission (For eg: if you are submitting a Manuscript, please mention subject as Manuscript submission)
- Ensure that all attachments are not more than 3MB in size
- Please note that attachments larger than 3 MB will not be opened or reviewed.
Due to the volume of enquires we receive, we regret that we are unable to acknowledge receipt or provide individual feedback. We do, however, make every effort to carefully consider each submission we receive. Submissions are usually processed within 6 weeks. Please do not contact us any sooner about your submission.